For most people looking for a new job involves a long process built by daily actions. Those tasks include sending your resume, looking for job offers, replying to emails, calling some companies and creating specific profiles in social networks. The most famous one in these terms is LinkedIn.
Everyone looking for a job should consider to build a LinkedIn Profile or update the existing one. Read the following tips on how to improve your chances to attract recruiters.
1. Find a keywords strategyHave you ever heard of SEO (Search Engine Optimization)? Companies are using it to improve their status when someone looks for a specific word on a search engine like Google. The same happens on LinkedIn and even on Google, regarding searching for employees. Make a list of the keywords associated to your academic background and professional experience. Than ask yourself: How would someone look for a profile like mine? Try to adapt your words from that perspective.
Tip: instead of writing Digital Strategy, you should write Digital Strategist. And what if they look for Online Strategy? Consider to include synonyms for your keywords, so you can broader your chances.
2. Prepare your best pictureWe all know you shouldn’t have a picture on your resume, but on LinkedIn it’s a different story. You will increase 7 times more your chances of getting your profile viewed just by having a picture on it. A face gives credibility and creates an impact. It also shows that you are active on LinkedIn. You should obviously choose wisely what kind of photo to put there. Make sure you are in a professional environment.
Tip: Don’t put a picture with a dog unless you are a veterinary.
3. Use your nameYou should personalize your URL and making it go directly to your profile. If you do this you will increase your chances to appear in a Google search.
Tip: You can also include a keyword in your URL like http://www.linkedin.com /in/CarlySimonSinger
4. Collect RecommendationsRequest people who already worked with you or for you to recommend you. Try to look for different people to point out a variety of skills you have. It gives credibility and shows your networking skills.
Tip: You should also make good recommendations as they will also appear on your profile.
5. Strategic ConnectionsAs you increase your connections you’ll increase the chances to appear on the recruiters’ search. Identify people you want to establish a connection with and write a personalized message in each request.
Tip: You can talk about the fact you are looking for a job, but don’t do it in the first message.
6. Share, be activeSome people think they just need to create a profile, add some people and magic will happen. Things don’t work that way, you cannot just make a profile and expect for a job to knock at your door. You need to actively participate and engage on LinkedIn activities. You can join some groups, share some interesting content or comment on others in order to make your profile more visible.If you need some help, we know how to create an impressive LinkedIn profile: